Tuesday, February 26, 2013

 This assignment was self portraiture.  I went the very clear route of taking pictures of myself.  The first one is a little more personal than the other ones.  In the first one you can see me grabbing my hair.  I have an obsession compulsion disorder having to do with pulling hair.  It's become more in the forefront of my mind lately because I have been trying to break myself of it.  But it's a big part of my life and has been since I has around the age of 8.
    The second picture is after a night out.  I had gotten dressed up and I don't do that very often and I thought it would be a good opportunity to capture that side of me.  I'm always very self conscious when I get dressed up but I do love doing it.  I like to "look pretty" in that way.
  The other three pictures were more of a last minute thing.  I ended up getting a cold and the last pictures just show me in my grungy clothes feeling awful and very "un-pretty" as opposed to the second picture of me all dolled up.  I did a black and white and then a color picture of very similar setups just to get two looks at it.  I like the color one because the focus isn't on my face, it's on my hand in the foreground.  
I'm not a huge fan of pictures of myself so I liked the blurred photo because it's still a picture of me by my face isn't the focus.  The last picture cuts off my head altogether and you get a partial picture of my body.  But it also shows the very personal space that I occupy: my bed.  I spend half of my day in the very space so what could be more me?


And that's my artist statement for the self portrait project *bow* :)


No comments:

Post a Comment