Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Love is all you need

     Today I had to make time to take pictures because I thought we would be working with our film today.  Luckily we weren't because I only got half a roll done.  But a thought occurred to me while I was walking around campus looking for things to photograph: I'm very self conscious about using a camera.  When I was walking around, I didn't want anyone to be around when I pulled my camera out of its bag to take a picture. I wanted to be totally alone, with no one to watch or judge me.  I guess I am always worried about things like that.  It's a bit silly but nonetheless I think about it.  I really shouldn't care what other people think.  I should do what makes me happy and photography is definitely one of those things.  It's calming and therapeutic and it's just a wonder in and of itself.
     Roddy was rambling today while he showed us how to develop our film and was talking about the love that you have to put into your photographs.  That photographs involve nostalgia and feeling and that somehow love is in them too.  Honestly, I wish I could just bring a tape recorder to record his digressions.  They're so philosophical and romantic.  He was talking a lot about the universe too and our relationship with the universe and how we need to think about our relationship with the universe.  And then he said maybe those people that say love is the answer, that love is all you need, are on to something.  That maybe love is the meaning of life, or to the universe, the answer to all things.  It could be that way.  When I was thinking about what picture to post with this entry, I kind of laughed because I took a picture the summer of 2010 that fits so well with what Roddy brought up about love being the answer.  Fits so well that it actually contains the famous quote of John Lennon's.

     I don't know who PM was or why he or she decided to vandalize a fence post in Yellowstone National Park but I'm kind of glad they did.  This is actually one of my favorite pictures that I have taken and my cousin actually enlarged it, framed it, and gave it to me as a Christmas present.  I just like the message that it sends to everyone that goes to that park and sees that fence post on the side of a cliff looking over a river and waterfall.  When I took that picture, I was full of emotion because I was in that place, looking at that waterfall, and thinking 'love really is all you need.'  It was a very powerful place for the message and I'm thankful that I had a camera to capture it.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment